Sunday, February 15, 2004

Do I have Asperger's Syndrome?
I've just started reading an excellent book that I bought while on holiday in London called
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

It's a nice enough story, but the thing that has touched me the most is that the boy who narrates the story suffers from a form of Autism - Asperger's Syndrome that sounds eerily like something I think I have. He's incapable of emapthising with other people for the most part (something I share to some extent) but he also does some things (like multiplying large numbers and adding up the value of letters in people's names) which I thought that I alone did. People with Asperger's also have incredibly high IQ's and like to do things in particular orders.

I've been reading about it all morning, and I think I have Asperger's Syndrome to some degree. Anyway, my sister Dana, who is a psychiatrist, is back in Dubai in March, and I'll have her assess me properly then.